Grassland ecology research involves the study of species composition on the state’s rangelands and pastures, and the factors that lead to changes in that composition. The ratio of favorable grasses and forbs to less palatable or noxious species has great importance to the productivity of grasslands.
The grassland ecology research team in Agronomy focuses on:
- Effect of species composition on animal gains
- Effect of species composition on soil quality and erodibility
- Environmental factors that affect species composition
- Management factors that affect species composition
- Methods of determining species composition on a wide scale