Dr. Romulo Lollato
Biography & Education
Dr. Romulo P. Lollato got his B.S. degree in Agronomy from Londrina State University (Brazil), M.S. in Plant and Soil Sciences from Oklahoma State University (OSU), and Ph.D. in Crop Science from OSU. Currently, Romulo is an associate professor of Agronomy at Kansas State University, Extension Wheat and Forages Specialist, where he provides leadership for an interdisciplinary team developing a strong Extension (80%) and applied research (20%) programs. He is an associate editor for Agronomy Journal, where he received an award for outstanding associated editor in January 2018, and he is a reviewer for Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, Agronomy Journal, Crop Science, Crop and Pasture Science, among other scientific journals. Romulo is a member of the American Society of Agronomy, Crop Science Society of America, and Soil Science Society of America.
Romulo’s interest in wheat first started as actual crop production, working in his family’s soybean-corn-wheat farming operation, in which he grew up helping. His interest in wheat increased during his MS, with a thesis focused on wheat response to liming acidic soils in central Oklahoma. During his PhD, his dissertation focused on intensive wheat management and the meteorological limits to winter wheat productivity in the southern Great Plains, as well as soil water dynamics under the wheat crop and wheat variety response to soil pH and aluminum concentration gradients. Currently, Romulo directly oversees over 20 different research projects related to wheat production or applied wheat physiology, most pertaining to M.S. thesis or Ph.D. dissertations of students training in his program.
- Ph.D., Crop Science, Oklahoma State University, July 2015
- M.S., Plant and Soil Science, Oklahoma State University, December 2012
- B.S., Agronomy, Londrina State University, December 2009
- Support to wheat sustainability with a collaborative project between American Bakers Association and Field-to-Market
- Field days, pre-plant wheat schools, and plot tours in wheat demonstration plots and variety performance trials
- General eUpdates, news releases, and extension publications on best management practices for wheat and forages
- Interested in establishing on-farm research trials in cooperation with wheat producers
- Managing Wheat by Growth Stage of Development (PDF)
- Managing Alfalfa by Growth Stage of Development (PDF)
- Dual-purpose wheat: management for forage and grain production (PDF)
- Using a Smartphone App to Better Manage Wheat Grazing (PDF)
- Wheat Demonstration Plots (PDF)
- Wheat Forage and First Hollow Stem Reports (PDF)
- Wheat Variety Selection (PDF)
- Rodrigues, V.A., C.A.C. Crusciol, J.W. Bossolani, L.G. Moretti, J.R. Portugal, T.T. Mundt, S.L. Oliveira, A.G., J.C. Calonego, and R.P. Lollato. 2021. Magnesium foliar supplementation increases grain yield of soybean and maize by improving photosynthetic carbon metabolism, and antioxidant metabolism. Plants. Accepted.
- Lollato, R.P., B.R. Jaenisch, and S.R. Silva. 2021. Genotype-specific nitrogen uptake dynamics and fertilizer management explain contrasting wheat protein concentration. Crop Sci. 20442, 1-20.
- de Oliveira Silva, A., B.R. Jaenisch, I.A. Ciampitti, and R.P. Lollato. 2021. Wheat nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, and sulfur uptake dynamics under different management practices. Agron. J. 1-18.
- Cruppe, G., P.M. Silva, C. Lemes da Silva, G. Peterson, K. Pedley, C. Cruz, A. Monhammad, R.P. Lollato, A.K. Fritz, B. Valent. 2020. Genome wide association reveals limited benefits of pyramiding the 1B and 1D loci with the 2NS translocation for wheat blast control. Crop Sci. 20397, 1-15.
- Perin, V., E.A. Santos, R.P. Lollato, D.R. Ruiz-Diaz, G.J. Kluitenberg. 2020. Impacts of ammonia volatilization from broadcast urea on winter wheat production. Agron. J. 2020; 1-15.
- Munaro, L.B., T.J. Hefley, E. DeWolf, S. Haley, A.K. Fritz, G. Zhang, L.A. Haag, A.J. Schlegel, J.T. Edwards, D. Marburger, P. Alderman, S.M. Jones-Diamond, J. Johnson, J.E. Lingenfelser, S.H. Unêda-Trevisoli, and R.P. Lollato. 2020. Exploring long-term variety performance trials to improve environment-specific genotype × management recommendations: A case-study for winter wheat. Field Crops Research 255, 107848.
- Beres, B.L., J.L. Hatfield, J.A. Kirkegaard, S.D. Eigenbrode, W.L. Pan, R.P. Lollato, J.R. Hunt, S. Strydhorst, K. Porker, D. Lyon, J. Ransom, and J. Wiersma. 2020. Toward a better understanding of genotype x environment x management interactions - A global wheat initiative agronomic research strategy. Frontiers Plant Sci. 11:828.
- Lollato, R.P., K. Roozeboom, J.F. Lingenfelser, C.L. da Silva, G. Sassenrath. 2020. Soft winter wheat outyields hard winter wheat in a subhumid environment: Weather drivers, yield plasticity, and rates of yield gain. Crop Sci. 2:20139.
- Lollato, R.P., G.P. Bavia, V. Perin, M. Knapp, E.A. Santos, A. Patrignani, and E.D. DeWolf. 2020. Climate-risk assessment for winter wheat using long-term weather data. Agron. J. 2:20168.
- Bastos, L.M., W. Carsiochi, R.P. Lollato, B.R. Jaenisch, C.R. Rezende, Rai Schwalbert, P.V. Vara Prasad, G. Zhang, A.K. Fritz, C. Foster, Y. Wright, S. Young, P. Bradley, and I.A. ciampitti. 2020. Winter wheat response to plant density as a function of yield environment and tillering potential: A review and field studies. Frontiers Plant Sci. 11
- de Oliveira Silva, A., I.A. Ciampitti, G.A. Slafer, and R.P. Lollato. 2020. Nitrogen utilization efficiency in wheat: A global perspective. Eur. J. Agron. 114, 126008.
- Maeoka, R.E., V. Sadras, I.A. Ciampitti, D.R. Ruiz Diaz, A.K. Fritz, and R.P. Lollato. 2020. Changes in the phenotype of winter wheat varieties released between 1920 and 2016 in response to in-furrow fertilizer: Biomass allocation, yield, and grain protein concentration. Frontiers Plant Sci 10, 1786.
- de Oliveira Silva, A., I.A. Ciampitti, G. Slafer, A.K. Fritz, and R.P. Lollato. 2019. Physiological basis of genotypic response to management in dryland wheat. Frontiers Plant Sci. 10, 1644.
- Pereira Pinto, J.G.C., L.B. Munaro, B.R. Jaenisch, A.K. Nagaoka, and R.P. Lollato. 2019. Wheat variety response to seed cleaning and treatment after Fusarium Head Blight infection. Agrosyst. Geosci. Environ. 2:190034. 1-8.
- Sassenrath, G., J. Farney, and R.P. Lollato. 2019. Impact of fungicide and insecticide on wheat production in a high-rainfall environment. Crop, For. Turf. Manag. 5:190008. 1-10.
- Lollato, R.P., B.M. Figueiredo, J.S. Dhillon, D.B. Arnall, and W.R. Raun. 2019. Wheat grain yield and grain-nitrogen relationships as affected by N, P, and K fertilization: A synthesis of long-term experiments. Field Crops Res. 236:42-57.
- Sciarresi, C., A.. Patrignani, A. Soltani, T.R. Sinclair, and R.P. Lollato. 2019. Plant traits to increase winter wheat yield in semiarid and subhumid environments. Agron. J. 111:1-13.
- Schmid, R., T. Hefley, R.P. Lollato, and B. McCornack. 2019. Landscape effects on Hessian fly, Mayetiola destructor (Diptera: Cecidomyiidae) distribution within six Kansas commercial wheat fields. Agriculture, Ecosystems, and Environment. 274: 52-61.
- Lollato, R.P., D. Ruiz-Diaz, E. DeWolf, M. Knapp, D. Peterson, and A.K. Fritz. 2019. Agronomic practices for reducing wheat yield gaps: a quantitative appraisal of progressive producers. Crop Sci. 59(1): 333-350.
- Jaenisch, B.R., A. de Oliveira Silva, D. Ruiz-Diaz, E. DeWolf, and R.P. Lollato. 2019. Plant population and fungicide economically reduced winter wheat yield gap in Kansas. Agron. J. 111:1-16.
- Lollato, R.P., T.E. Ochsner, D.B. Arnall, T. Griffin, and J.T. Edwards. 2019. From field experiments to regional forecasts: upscaling wheat grain and forage yield response to acidic soils. Agron. J. 111:1-16.
- Corassa, G., F.D. Hansel, R.P. Lollato, J.L.F. Pires, R. Schwalbert, T.J.C. Amado, E.M. Guarienti, R. Gaviraghi, M.B. Bisognin, G.B. Reimche, A.L. Santi, and I.A. Ciampitti. 2018. Nitrogen management strategies to improve yield and dough properties in hard red spring wheat. Agron. J. 110:1-13.
- Cruppe, G., J.T. Edwards, and R.P. Lollato. 2017. In-season canopy reflectance can aid fungicide and late-season nitrogen decisions on winter wheat. Agron. J. 109(5):1-15.
- Lollato, R.P., J.T. Edwards, and T.E. Ochsner. 2017. Meteorological limits to winter wheat productivity in the southern Great Plains. Field Crops Res. 203: 212-226.
- A. Araya, I. Kisekka, P.V.V. Prasad, J. Holman, A.J. Foster, and R.P. Lollato. 2017. Assessing wheat yield, biomass, and water productivity responses to growth stage based irrigation water allocation. Transactions of the ASABE. 60(1): 107-121.
- Lollato, R.P., A. Patrignani, T.E. Ochsner, and J.T. Edwards. 2016. Prediction of plant available water at sowing in continuous wheat systems in the southern Great Plains. Agron. J. 108(2): 745-757.
- Lollato, R.P. and J.T. Edwards. 2015. Maximum attainable wheat yield and resource-use efficiency in the southern Great Plains. Crop Sci. 55(6):2863-2876.
- Patrignani, A., R.P. Lollato, T.E. Ochsner, C.B. Godsey, and J.T. Edwards. 2014. Yield gap and production gap of rainfed winter wheat in the southern Great Plains. Agron. J. 106:1329-1339.
- Sutradhar, A., R.P. Lollato, K. Butchee, and D.B. Arnall. 2014. Determining critical soil pH for sunflower production. Int. J. Agron. 2014:1-13.
- Lollato, R.P., J.T. Edwards, and H. Zhang. 2013. Effect of alternatives soil acidity amelioration strategies on soil pH distribution and wheat agronomic response. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 77:1831-1841.
- Torres, G.M., R.P. Lollato, and T.E. Ochsner. 2013. Comparison of drought probability assessments based on atmospheric water deficit and soil water deficit. Agron. J. 105:428-436.
- Lollato, R.P., M.A. Lollato, and J.T. Edwards. 2012. Soil organic carbon replenishment through long-term no-till on a Brazilian family farm. J. Soil Water Cons. 67:74A-76A.
- Environmental assessment of maximum attainable wheat yields and yield gaps using crop simulation models
- Agronomic practices leading to maximized wheat yield and profitability
- Intensive versus standard wheat management: partial contribution of individual management practices to narrowing yield gaps
- Intensive versus standard wheat management: the role of genotype, environment, and management in narrowing yield gaps
- Modeling plant available water at sowing in continuous winter wheat systems
- Probability of wheat yield gain based on altered drought traits using crop simulation models
- Strategies to overcome low soil pH problems in wheat production system
- Variety selection and management practices when double-cropping wheat following a summer crop
- Variety selection in dual-purpose wheat production systems
- Wheat nutrient uptake and partitioning as affected by the era of variety release
- Wheat variety-specific population management and variety selection
- Yield gap and resource-use efficiency of winter wheat in the southern Great Plains
Staff & Students
Current Graduate Students
- Luana Machado Simao - Ph.D. student
- Brent Jaenisch - Ph.D. Student
- Kaylin Fink - M.S. Student
- Nicolas Giordano - M.S. student
- Roberta Rebesquini - Undergraduate Research Scholar
- Luiz Pradella - Visiting Research Scholar
Past Students and Staff
- Andrei Dobner - Undergraduate Research Scholar
- Marcos Feliciano - Undergraduate Research Scholar
- Renan de Oliveira Batista - Undergraduate Research Scholar
- Lucas Berger Munaro - Assistant Scientist
- Kavan Mark - Assistant Scientist
- Marden Moraes - Undergraduate Research Scholar
- Valdir Focaga Jr. - Undergraduate Research Scholar
- Nilo Fernandes - Undergraduate Research Scholar
- Lohan Oliveira - Undergraduate Research Scholar
- Caio Rapolla Rezende - Visiting Research Scholar
- Kavan Mark - Undergraduate Hourly Student
- Amanda de Oliveira Silva - Ph.D. Student
- Rafael Eidi Maeoka - M.S. Student
- Leonardo Molssato - Undergraduate Research Scholar
- Edwin Navia - Research Assistant
- José Guilherme C. P. Pinto - Undergraduate Research Scholar
- Felipe Spolidorio - Undergraduate Research Scholar
- Talha Shahryar - Undergraduate Hourly Student
- Rodrigo Arrellaga Sosa - Undergraduate Hourly Student
- Larissa Bonassi - Short-term Visiting Scholar
- Cody Brown - MS Student
- Gustavo Bacco - Undergraduate Research Scholar
- Augusto Dubou Serafim - Undergraduate Research Scholar
- Guilherme Bavia - Visiting Research Scholar
- Jéssica Lavorenti - Undergraduate Research Scholar
- Vitor Rampazzo Favoretto - Undergraduate Research Scholar
- Larissa Bonassi - Undergraduate Research Scholar
- Amy Jorgensen - Undergraduate Hourly Student
- Cintia Sciarresi - Visiting Research Scholar
- Rafael Eidi Maeoka - Undergraduate Research Scholar