K-State Career Development Events in Agriculture
The Agronomy portion of the Kansas State Career Development Events in Agriculture provides an opportunity for high school students to improve their agronomic knowledge and skills. District and State Agronomy events are held each year with the State event hosted by the Agronomy Department at Kansas State University in late April or early May. The Agronomy Event consists of four parts:
- Identification of plants and seeds of important Kansas crops and weeds.
- Grain Grading and Seed Analysis of important Kansas crops.
- Agronomic Quiz focused on basic principles of crop production and soil management, plus calculations related to agronomic practices (fertilizer application, seeding rates, harvest losses, yield estimation, sprayer calibration, etc.). Focus will be on the major grain crops (wheat, corn, sorghum, soybean, sunflowers, canola) and forages (alfalfa, fescue, bromegrass, native range) grown in Kansas. Questions may include topics related to preserving environmental quality, water quality, soil conservation, and sustainability.
- Soils, Fertilizers, Crops, and Herbicides Practicum where students will perform simple analyses or answer questions. Students may have to: identify fertilizer products, insects, diseases, feed ingredients, and agronomic equipment; interpret herbicide, seed, and fertilizer labels or soil test analyses; perform soil texture analysis, interpret soil survey information; name common nutrient deficiencies shown on crop plants; identify crop growth stages or common plant structures, etc.
Contest Document Downloads
- 2017 Lab Practical Questions with Photos
- 2016 Lab Practical Questions with Photos
- 2015 Lab Practical Questions with Photos
- 2014 Lab Practical Questions with Photos
- 2013 Lab Practical Questions
- 2012 Lab Practical Photos
- 2011 Lab Practical Questions
- 2011 Lab Practical Photos
- 2010 Lab Practical Questions
- 2017 Agronomic Quiz Key
- 2016 Agronomic Quiz Key
- 2015 Agronomic Quiz Key
- 2014 Agronomic Quiz Key
- 2013 Agronomic Quiz Key
- 2012 Agronomic Quiz Key
- 2011 Agronomic Quiz Key
- 2010 Agronomic Quiz Key
- 2009 Agronomic Quiz Key
Additional Practice References
For more information contact Kevin Donnelly at: email@example.com