Dr. Ignacio Ciampitti
Biography & Education
Dr. Ignacio A. Ciampitti was born in Buenos Aires City, in Argentina. He received his degree in Agricultural Engineer at the University of Buenos Aires, Argentina. During the previous study, Ignacio, worked in a thesis project related to nitrous oxide emissions from soybean.
During his time pursuing a Ph.D. at Purdue University, Ignacio worked as a research assistant, and was actively involved in the graduate students' representatives committee. Ignacio received several honors among them, Marschner Young Scientist Award, Gamma Sigma Delta Professional Award, M.O. Pence Memorial Scholarship, Gerald O. Mott Award, Bilsland Dissertation Fellowship, Outstanding Ph.D. Student in Research Award, George D. Scarseth Scholarship, and the International Scholar Award from IPNI.
Currently, he is an Associate Editor for Crop Science Journal, and he is also actively involved in the reviewing process for several International Journals (i.e. Agronomy Journal, Crop Science, Field Crops Research, and Frontiers in Plant Science). He is also an active member of the Crop Science Society of America, American Society of Agronomy, the Soil Science Society of America, Sigma Xi, Gamma Sigma Delta, CAST and Epsilon Sigma Phi. He recently has received awards for his early professional career achievements such as the Early Career Awards for Epsilon Sigma Phi and Gamma Sigma Delta.
Ignacio married Gloria in 2007 and they have three children, Simon, Josefina and Jeremías. For recreation, Ignacio enjoys time spent with family and friends, the outdoors and cooking.
- Ph.D. Crop Physiology and Nutrition, Purdue University, 2012
- M.S. Soil Fertility and Plant Nutrition, University of Buenos Aires, Argentina, 2009
- B.S. Agronomy, University of Buenos Aires, Argentina, 2005
- Crop production systems for corn, sorghum, soybean, and winter canola
- On-farm research projects
- Sustainable crop production
- Minimizing crop yield gaps
Crop Production Practices
- crop rotations
- variety or hybrid selections
- planting dates
- plant densities
- row spacing
- plant nutrient dynamics (uptake and remobilization processes)
- Tamagno, S., G. Balboa, S. Casteel, P. Kovacs, F.O. Garcia, M. Stewart, and I.A. Ciampitti. 2017. Nutrient partitioning and stoichiometry in soybean: A Synthesis-Analysis. Field Crops Res. (Accepted, in press, 3, 6, 35%). KAES # 17-126-J.
- Peralta, N., Y. Assefa, J. Du, C. Barden, and I.A. Ciampitti. 2016. Mid-season high-resolution satellite imagery for forecasting site-specific corn yields. Remote Sensing. (Accepted, in press, 3, 6, 35%). KAES #16-367-J.
- Adee, E., K. Roozeboom, G.R. Balboa, A. Schlegel, and I.A. Ciampitti. 2016. Drought-tolerant corn hybrids yield more in drought-stressed environments with no penalty in non-stressed environments. Frontiers in Plant Science (Accepted, doi: 10.3389/fpls.2016.01534, 3, 4, 20%). KAES # 16-319-J.
- Assefa, Y., P.V. Vara Prasad, P. Carter, M. Hinds, G. Bhalla, R. Schon, M. Jeschke, S. Paszkiewicz, and I.A. Ciampitti. 2016. Yield responses to planting density for US modern corn hybrids: A Synthesis-Analysis. Crop Sci. 56, 1-16. (1,4, 6, 50%). KAES # 16-282-J.
- Ciampitti, I.A., and V.P. Prasad. 2016. Historical synthesis-analysis of changes in grain nitrogen dynamics in sorghum. Frontiers in Plant Sciences 7:275. (1,2, 80%). KAES #16-120-J.
- Morell, Y.S. Haishun, K.G. Cassman, J. Van Wart, R.W. Elmore, M. Licht, J.A. Coulter, I.A. Ciampitti, C.M. Pittelkow, S.M. Brouder, P. Thomison, J. Lauer, C. Graham, R. Massey, and P. Grassini. 2016.Can crop simulation models be used to predict local to regional maize yields and total production in the U.S. Corn Belt? Field Crops Res. 192, 1-12. (4, 5, 20%)
- N. Ireland-Otto, R.O. Burton Jr., I.A. Ciampitti, M. Blanks, and T. Balthazor. 2016. Net income associated with using unmanned aircraft on crop farms. Journal of American Society of Farm Managers and Rural Appraisers (JASFMRA), 2016:130-148. (4, 5, 30%)
- Mariano, E., J.M. Leite, M.X. Vieira-Megda, I.A. Ciampitti, A.C. Vitti, C.E. Faroni, H.C. J. Franco, and P.C.O. Trivelin. 2016. Biomass and nutrient content by sugarcane as affected by fertilizer nitrogen sources. Crop Sci. 56, 1234-1244. (4, 5, 20%) KAES # 16-099-J.
- Leite, J.M., I.A. Ciampitti, E. Mariano, M.X. Vieira-Megda, and P.C.O. Trivelin. 2016. Nutrient partitioning and stoichiometry in unburnt sugarcane ratoon at varying yield levels. Frontiers in Plant Sciences 7:466. (4, 5, 25%) KAES #16-283-J.
- Prasad, P.V.V., M. Djanaguirama, R. Perumal, and I.A. Ciampitti. 2015. Impact of high temperature stress on floret fertility and individual grain weight of grain sorghum: sensitive stages and thresholds for temperature and duration. Frontiers in Plant Sciences 6:820. doi: 10.3389/fpls.2015.00820 (4, 5, 20%) KAES # 16-054-J.
- Ciampitti, I.A., and T.J. Vyn. 2014. Understanding global and historical nutrient use efficiencies for closing maize yield gaps. Agron. J. 106:2107-2117 (1, 2, 80%)
- Ciampitti, I.A., and T.J. Vyn. 2014. Nutrient sufficiency concepts for modern corn hybrids: Impacts of management practices and yield levels. Crop Mngmt J. 13:1-7. (1, 2, 80%)
- Burzaco, J.P., I.A. Ciampitti, and T.J. Vyn. 2014. Nitrapyrin impacts on maize yield and nitrogen use efficiency with spring-applied nitrogen: Field studies vs. meta-analysis Comparison. Agron. J.106:753-760(4, 5, 40%)
- Ciampitti, I.A., and T.J. Vyn. 2013. Maize nutrient accumulation and partitioning in response to plant density and nitrogen rate: II. Secondary elements and Micronutrients. Agron. J. 105:1645-1657 (2, 3, 80%)
- Ciampitti, I.A., T.S. Murrell, J.J. Camberato, M. Tuinstra, Y. Xia, P. Friedemann, and T.J. Vyn. 2013. Physiological dynamics of maize nitrogen uptake and partitioning in response to plant density and N stress factors: II. Reproductive phase. Crop Sci. 53:2588-2602 (2, 3, 80%)
- Ciampitti, I.A., T.S. Murrell, J.J. Camberato, M. Tuinstra, Y. Xia, P. Friedemann, and T.J. Vyn. 2013. Physiological dynamics of maize nitrogen uptake and partitioning in response to plant density and N stress factors: I. Vegetative phase. Crop Sci. 53:2105-2119 (2, 3, 80%)
- Roth, J., I.A. Ciampitti, and T.J. Vyn. 2013. Physiological evaluations of recent drought-tolerant maize hybrids at varying stress levels. Agron. J 105:1129-1141 (4, 5, 45%)
- Ciampitti, I.A., T.S. Murrell, J.J. Camberato, and T.J. Vyn. 2013. Maize nutrient accumulation and partitioning in response to plant density and nitrogen rate: I. Macronutrients. Agron J. 105:783-795 (2, 3, 80%)
- Ciampitti, I.A., H. Zhang, P. Friedemann and T. Vyn. 2012. Potential physiological frameworks for mid-season field phenotyping of final N uptake, N use efficiency and yield in maize. Crop Sci. 52:2728-2742.
- Robles, M., I.A. Ciampitti, and T.J. Vyn. 2012. Responses of maize hybrids to twin-row spatial arrangement at multiple plant densities. Agron. J. 104:1747-1756.
- Ciampitti, I.A., and T.J. Vyn. 2012. Physiological perspectives of changes over time in maize yield dependency on nitrogen uptake and associated N efficiencies: A review. Field Crops Res. 133:48-67.
- Torres Duggan, M., R. Melgar, M. Beatriz Rodríguez, R.S. Lavado andI.A. Ciampitti. 2012.Sulfur fertilization technology in the Argentina Pampas Region: A review. Agron. & Amb. 32:1-2.
- Ciampitti, I.A. and T.J. Vyn. 2011. A comprehensive study of plant density consequences on nitrogen uptake dynamics of maize plants from vegetative to reproductive stages. Field Crops Res. 121:2-18.
- Ciampitti, I.A., L.I. Picone, G. Rubio and F.O. García. 2011. Pathways of phosphorous fraction dynamics in field crop rotations of the pampas of Argentina. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 75:918-926.
- Ciampitti I.A., G. Rubio, F.O. García and L.I. Picone. 2011. Soil carbon and phosphorus pools in field crop rotations in Pampean soils of Argentina. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 75:616-625.
- Ciampitti I.A., F.O. García, L.I. Picone and G. Rubio. 2011. Phosphorus: balance and soil extractable dynamics in field crops rotations in Pampean soils. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 75:131-142.
- Ciampitti, I.A., E.A. Ciarlo and M.E. Conti. 2008. Nitrous oxide emissions from soil during soybean crop phenological stages and stubbles decomposition period. Biol. Fert. Soil 44:581-58.
- Ciarlo E., Conti M. and Ciampitti I.A. 2006. Nitrous oxide emissions: Importance of the main soil regulators of the denitrification process. School of Agronomy, University of Buenos Aires 26:23-29.
- Ciampitti, I.A., E.A. Ciarlo and M.E. Conti. 2005. Nitrous oxide emission during soybean culture: inoculation and nitrogen fertilization effects. Ci Suelo 23:123–131.
Books & Book Chapters
- Book Editor, American Society of Agronomy (ASA), Agronomy Monographs 58. “Sorghum State of the Art and Future Perspectives”. Drs. Ciampitti, I.A., and P.V.V. Prasad (Eds).
- Ciampitti, I.A., P.V.V. Prasad, A.J. Schlegel, L. Haag, R. Schnell, B. Arnall, and J. Lofton. Genotype x Environment x Management (G x E x M) Interactions: US Sorghum Cropping Systems. American Society of Agronomy (ASA), Agronomy Monographs 58. “Sorghum State of the Art and Future Perspectives”. Drs. Ciampitti, I.A., and P.V.V. Prasad (Eds). (1, 60%). KAES #17-076-B.
- Grassini, P., J.E. Specht, M. Tollenaar, K.G. Cassman, and I.A. Ciampitti. High yield maize-soybean cropping systems in the North American Corn Belt’ for ‘Crop Physiology- Applications for genetic improvement and agronomy’, Sadras VO, Calderini DF (Eds.). Expected Publication December 2014
- García F., L. Picone and I.A. Ciampitti. 2013. Phosphorus dynamics: Soil-Plant relationship. INTA Fertilidad de Suelos.
- Ciampitti I.A., F. García and A. Bianchini. 2012. La nutricion del cultivo de soja (The plant nutrition for the soybean crop). Chapter X. Book Soybean Management. Published by Planeta Soja (in Spanish).
- García F., I.A. Ciampitti et al. 2010. The fertilization network of CREA Southern Santa Fe Region. Results and conclusions from the first 10 years. ISBN 978-987-1513-07-9. Published by IPNI (In Spanish).
- Editor of the Soybean Crop Management Handbook. 2009. Preparation and publication of five chapters of this book (from growth and development, management, plant nutrition, diseases, weeds, and translation of the “Be Your Own Soybean Doctor”). Published by in Argentina (In Spanish).
- Two chapters published in the “Greenhouse Gas Emissions in Ibero-American ecosystems” book. 2009. Published by the Latin-American Society of Environmental Physics and Chemistry (SiFyQa) in Spain (English abstract).
- García F. and I. A. Ciampitti. 2009. The nutrient and fertilizer best management practices for crops under no tillage. In: No Tillage Handbook. CREA. Publisher AACREA Argentina (In Spanish).
- Crop Production for corn, soybean, sorghum, canola and cover crops.
- Genotype x Environment x Management practices interactions.
- Yield Gaps and Potential Yield levels (integrated research in closing yield gaps).
- Plant nutrition and plant physiological mechanisms interactions.
- Management Practices such as:
- Tillage, Crop Rotations, Variety or Hybrid selections, Planting dates, Plant densities, Nutrient Rates and Nutrient Dynamics (Uptake and Remobilization processes).
- Crop Physiology and Ecology (Nutrient and Plant Mass Stoichiometric Ratios).
- Review Analysis and Uses of Modern Statistical Tools for Applied Research:
- Synthesis, Meta-Analysis, Multivariate-Analysis, and Quantile Regression.
Staff & Students
- Yared Assefa - Post-Doctoral Researcher
- Juan Ignacio Di Salvo - Visiting Scholar
- Miriam Nicole Gutierrez - Visiting Scholar
- Dustin Hodgins - Assistant Scientist
- Anelise Lencina da Silva - Visiting Scholar
- Luiz Henrique Moro Rosso - Visiting Scholar