Dr. Ignacio Ciampitti
Biography & Education
Ignacio A. Ciampitti was born in Buenos Aires City, in Argentina. After high school, he attended the University of Buenos Aires, Argentina, where he received the Agricultural Engineer degree. During the previous study, Ignacio, worked in a thesis project related to the topic of nitrous oxide emissions from soybean crops.
During his time pursuing a Ph.D. program at Purdue University, Ignacio worked as a research assistant, and was actively involved in the graduate students’ representatives committee. Ignacio received several honors among them, Gamma Sigma Delta Professional Award, M.O. Pence Memorial Scholarship, Gerald O. Mott Award, Bilsland Dissertation Fellowship, Outstanding Ph.D. Student in Research Award, George D. Scarseth Scholarship, and the International Scholar Award from IPNI.
Currently, he is an Associate Editor for the Agronomy Journal, and he is also actively involved in the reviewing process for several International Journals (i.e. Agronomy Journal, Crop Science, Field Crops Research, SSSAJ and Plant and Soil). He is also an active member of the Crop Science Society of America, American Society of Agronomy, the Soil Science Society of America, Gamma Sigma Delta and the Argentinian Soil Science Association.
Ignacio married Gloria in 2007 and they have two children, Josefina (2) and Jeremías (4), and one more coming on the way very soon. For recreation, Ignacio enjoys time spent with family and friends, the outdoors and cooking.
- Ph.D. Crop Physiology and Nutrition, Purdue University, 2012
- M.S. Soil Fertility and Plant Nutrition, University of Buenos Aires, Argentina, 2009
- B.S. Agronomy, University of Buenos Aires, Argentina, 2005
Staff & Students
- Crop Production for corn, soybean, sorghum, canola and cover crops.
- Genotype x Environment x Management practices interactions.
- Yield Gaps and Potential Yield levels (integrated research in closing yield gaps).
- Plant nutrition and plant physiological mechanisms interactions.
- Management Practices such as:
- Tillage, Crop Rotations, Variety or Hybrid selections, Planting dates, Plant densities, Nutrient Rates and Nutrient Dynamics (Uptake and Remobilization processes).
- Crop Physiology and Ecology (Nutrient and Plant Mass Stoichiometric Ratios).
- Review Analysis and Uses of Modern Statistical Tools for Applied Research:
- Synthesis, Meta-Analysis, Multivariate-Analysis, and Quantile Regression.
- Crop production systems for corn, sorghum, soybean, and winter canola
- On-farm research projects
- Sustainable crop production
- Minimizing crop yield gaps
Crop Production Practices:
- crop rotations
- variety or hybrid selections
- planting dates
- plant densities
- row spacing
- plant nutrient dynamics (uptake and remobilization processes)
Ignacio Ciampitti does not currently have any course information available for review, or does not currently have a teaching appointment.
- Ciampitti, I.A. and T.J. Vyn. 2014. Nutrient sufficiency concepts for modern corn hybrids: Impacts of management practices and yield levels. Crop Mgmt J. (Accepted, in press).
- Burzaco, J.P., I.A. Ciampitti, T.J. Vyn. 2014. Nitrification inhibitor effect on field maize grain yield and nitrogen use efficiency: A Meta-analysis Validation. Agron. J. 106:753-760.
- Ciampitti, I.A., and T. Vyn. 2013. Maize nutrient accumulation and partitioning in response to plant density and nitrogen rate: II. Calcium, Magnesium & Micronutrients. Agron. J. 105:1645-1657.
- Ciampitti, I.A., T. Murrell, J. Camberato, M. Tuinstra, Y. Xia, P. Friedemann and T. Vyn. 2013. Physiological dynamics of maize nitrogen uptake and partitioning in response to plant density and N stress factors: II. Reproductive phase. Crop Sci 53:2588-2602.
- Ciampitti, I.A., T. Murrell, J. Camberato, M. Tuinstra, Y. Xia, P. Friedemann and T. Vyn. 2013. Physiological dynamics of maize nitrogen uptake and partitioning in response to plant density and N stress factors: I. Vegetative phase. Crop Sci 53:2105-2119.
- Roth, J., I.A. Ciampitti, and T.J. Vyn. 2013. Physiological evaluations of recent drought-tolerant maize hybrids at varying stress levels. Agron. J 105:1129-1141.
- Ciampitti, I.A., T.S. Murrell, J. Camberato, and T. Vyn. 2013. Maize nutrient accumulation and partitioning in response to plant density and nitrogen rate: I. Macronutrients. Agron J. 105:783-795.
- Ciampitti, I.A. and T.J. Vyn. 2013. Grain Nitrogen Source Changes over Time in Maize: A Review. Crop Sci. 53:366-377.
- Ciampitti, I.A., H. Zhang, P. Friedemann and T. Vyn. 2012. Potential physiological frameworks for mid-season field phenotyping of final N uptake, N use efficiency and yield in maize. Crop Sci. 52:2728-2742.
- Robles, M., I.A. Ciampitti, and T.J. Vyn. 2012. Responses of maize hybrids to twin-row spatial arrangement at multiple plant densities. Agron. J. 104:1747-1756.
- Ciampitti, I.A., and T.J. Vyn. 2012. Physiological perspectives of changes over time in maize yield dependency on nitrogen uptake and associated N efficiencies: A review. Field Crops Res. 133:48-67.
- Torres Duggan, M., R. Melgar, M. Beatriz Rodríguez, R.S. Lavado and I.A. Ciampitti. 2012. Sulfur fertilization technology in the Argentina Pampas Region: A review. Agron. & Amb. 32:1-2 (in press).
- Ciampitti, I.A. and T.J. Vyn. 2011. A comprehensive study of plant density consequences on nitrogen uptake dynamics of maize plants from vegetative to reproductive stages. Field Crops Res. 121:2-18.
- Ciampitti, I.A., L.I. Picone, G. Rubio and F.O. García. 2011. Pathways of phosphorous fraction dynamics in field crop rotations of the pampas of Argentina. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 75:918-926.
- Ciampitti I.A., G. Rubio, F.O. García and L.I. Picone. 2011. Soil carbon and phosphorus pools in field crop rotations in Pampean soils of Argentina. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 75:616-625.
- Ciampitti I.A., F.O. García, L.I. Picone and G. Rubio. 2011. Phosphorus: balance and soil extractable dynamics in field crops rotations in Pampean soils. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 75:131-142.
- Ciampitti, I.A., E.A. Ciarlo and M.E. Conti. 2008. Nitrous oxide emissions from soil during soybean crop phenological stages and stubbles decomposition period. Biol. Fert. Soil 44:581-58.
- Ciarlo E., Conti M. and Ciampitti I.A. 2006. Nitrous oxide emissions: Importance of the main soil regulators of the denitrification process. School of Agronomy, University of Buenos Aires 26:23-29.
- Ciampitti, I.A., E.A. Ciarlo and M.E. Conti. 2005. Nitrous oxide emission during soybean culture: inoculation and nitrogen fertilization effects. Ci Suelo 23:123–131.
- Ciampitti et al. 2013. Kansas Sorghum Management 2014. KSRE, Kansas State University, MF3046.
- Ciampitti et al. 2014. Kansas Soybean Management 2014. KSRE, Kansas State University. MF3154.