Dr. S.V. Krishna Jagadish
Abiotic Stress Physiologist
Kansas State University
3706 Throckmorton PSC
1712 Claflin Road
Manhattan, KS 66506
- Ph.D. Agriculture, University of Reading - United Kingdom, 2007
- M.S. Agronomy, University of Agricultural Sciences - Dharwad, India, 2002
- B.S. Agriculture, University of Agriculture Sciences, Bangalore, India, 2000
- Shi W, Li X, Schmidt RC, Struik PC, Yin X, Jagadish SVK*. 2018. Pollen germination and in vivo fertilization in response to high temperature during flowering in hybrid and inbred rice. Plant Cell and Environment (doi: 10.1111/pce.13146)
- Bahuguna R, Tamilselvan A, Muthurajan R, Solis CA, Jagadish SVK*. 2018. Mild pre-flowering drought priming improves stress defenses, assimilation and sink strength in rice under severe terminal drought. Functional Plant Biology (FP17248, Accepted 05 February 2018) http://www.publish.csiro.au/FP/justaccepted/FP17248
- Shiva S, Enninful R, Roth MR, Tamura P, Jagadish SVK, Welti R. 2018. An eﬃcient modiﬁed method for plant leaf lipid extraction results in improved recovery of phosphatidic acid. Plant Methods. 14, 14. (KSRE 17-391-J)
- Sun A, Impa SM, Sunoj VSJ, Singh K, Gill KS, Prasad PVV, Jagadish SVK*. 2017. Heat stress during flowering affects time of day of flowering, seed-set and grain quality in spring wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Crop Science. Doi:10.2135/cropsci2017.04.0221.
- Shi W, Yin X, Struik PC, Solis C, Xie F, Schmidt RC, Huang M, Zou Y, Ye C, Jagadish SVK*. 2017. High day-time and night-time temperature affect grain growth dynamics in contrasting rice genotypes. Journal of Experimental Botany, 68(18):5233-5245.
- Desai JS, Sartor RC, Lawas LL, Jagadish SVK, Doherty C. 2017. Improving Gene Regulatory Network Inference by Incorporating Rates of Transcriptional Changes. Scientific Reports. DOI:10.1038/s41598-017-17143-1
- Hu Y, Wu Q, Peng Z, Sprague SA, Wang W, Park J, Akhunov E, Jagadish SVK, Nakata PA, Cheng N, Hirschi KD, White FF, Park S. 2017. Silencing of OsGRXS17 in rice improves drought stress tolerance by modulating ROS accumulation and stomatal closure. Scientific Reports, doi:10.1038/s41598-017-16230-7
- Šebela D, Quinones C, Cruz CV, Ona I, Olejníčková J, Jagadish SVK*. 2017. Chlorophyll fluorescence and reflectance-based non-invasive quantification of blast, bacterial blight and drought stresses in rice. Plant and Cell Physiology 1;59(1):30-43.
- Djanaguiraman M, Perumal R, Jagadish SVK, Ciampitti IA, Welti R, Prasad PVV. 2017. Relative sensitivity of sorghum pollen and pistil under high temperature stress. Plant Cell and Environment. doi: 10.1111/pce.13089
- Tack J, Lingenfelser J, SVK Jagadish. 2017. Disaggregating sorghum yield reductions under warming scenarios exposes narrow genetic diversity in US breeding programs. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. doi/10.1073/pnas.1706383114 (KSRE 18-015-J)
- Chaturvedi AK, Bahuguna RN, Shah D, Pal M, SVK Jagadish. 2017. High temperature stress during flowering and grain filling offsets beneficial impact of elevated CO2 on assimilate partitioning and sink-strength in rice. Scientific Reports DOI:10.1038/s41598-017-07464-6
- Kadam NN, Tamilselvan A, Lawas LMF, Quinones C, Bahuguna RN, Thomson MJ, Dingkuhn M, Muthurajan R, Struik PC, Yin X, Jagadish SVK* 2017. Genetic control of plasticity in root morphology and anatomy of rice in response to water-deficit. Plant Physiology, DOI:10.1104/pp.17.00500
- Fu J, Bowden RL, Jagadish KSV, Gill BS. 2017. Genetic variation for tolerance to terminal heat stress in Dasypyrum villosum Crop Science 57, 1-7 (KSRE 17-196-J)
- Kikuchi S, Bheemanahalli R, Jagadish SVK*, Kumagai E, Masuya Y, Kuroda E, Dingkuhn M, Abe A, Shimono H, Raghavan C. 2017. Genome-wide association mapping for phenotypic plasticity in rice. Plant Cell and Environment. doi: 10.1111/pce.12955
- John Sunoj, VS, Somayanda IM, Chiluwal A, Perumal R, Vara Prasad PV, Jagadish SVK*. 2017. Resilience of pollen and post-flowering response in diverse sorghum genotypes exposed to heat stress under field conditions. Crop Science 17. doi:10.2135/cropsci2016.08 (KSRE 17-080-J).
- Chaturvedi AK, Bahuguna RN, Pal M, Shah D, Maurya S, Jagadish KSV*. 2017. Elevated CO2 and heat stress interactions affect grain yield, quality and mineral nutrient composition in rice under field conditions. Field Crops Research (In press)
- Quinones C, Mattes N, Faronilo J, Sudhir-Yadav*, Jagadish SVK*. 2017. Drought stress reduces grain yield by altering the floral meristem development and sink size under dry-seeded rice cultivation. Crop Science (In press).
- Bheemanahalli R, Sathishraj R, Manoharan M, Sumanth HN, Muthurajan R, Ishimaru T, Jagadish SVK. 2016. Is Early Morning Flowering an effective trait to minimize heat stress damage during flowering in rice? Field Crops Research 203, 1-5.
- Jagadish SVK, Bahuguna RN, Djanaguiraman M, Gamuyao R, Prasad PVV, Craufurd PQ. 2016. Implications of high temperature and elevated CO2 on flowering time in plants. Frontiers in Plant Sciences,(KSRE 14-355-J)
- John Sunoj VS, Shroyer KJ, Jagadish SVK, Vara Prasad PV. 2016. Diurnal temperature amplitude alters physiological and growth response of maize (Zea mays L.) during vegetative stage. Environmental and Experimental Botany, 130, 113-121 (KSRE 16-180-J)
- Vara Prasad PV*, Bhemanahalli R, Jagadish SVK*. 2017. Field crops and the fear of heat stress - opportunities, challenges and future directions. Field Crops Research, 200, 114-121 (KSRE 16-187-J)
- Brye KR, Nalley LL, Tack JB, Dixon BL, Barkley AP, Rogers CW, Smartt AD, Norman RJ, Jagadish SVK. 2016. Factors affecting methane emissions from rice production in the Lower Mississippi River Valley, USA. Geoderma Regional 7, 223-229 (KSRE 16-069-J)
- Nalley L, Tack J, Barkely A, Jagadish KSV, Brye KR. 2016. Quantifying the agronomic and economic performance of hybrid and conventional rice varieties. Agronomy Journal 108, 1514-1523 (KSRE 15-454-J)
- Bheemanahalli R, Sathishraj R, Manoharan M, Sumanth HN, Muthurajan R, Ishimaru T, Jagadish SVK. 2016. Is Early Morning Flowering an effective trait to minimize heat stress damage during flowering in rice? Field Crops Research (In press)
- Wilkins O, Hafemiester C, Plessis A, Holloway-Phillips MM, Pham G, Nicotra AB, Gregorio GB, Jagadish SVK, Septiningsih EM, Bonneau R, Purugganan M. 2016. Environmental gene regulatory influence networks in rice (Oryza sativa) – response to water deficit, high temperature and agricultural environments. The Plant Cell
- Bahuguna R, Solis C, Shi W, Jagadish SVK*. 2016. Post-flowering night respiration and altered sink activity account for high night temperature-induced grain yield and quality loss in rice (Oryza sativa L.). Physiologia Plantarum (doi 10.1111/ppl.12485)
- Shi W, Xiao G, Struik PC, Jagadish KSV*, Yin X*. 2016. Quantifying source-sink relationships of rice under high night-time temperature combined with two nitrogen levels. Field Crops Research
- Bheemanahalli R, Sathishraj R, Tack J, Nalley LL, Muthurajan R, Jagadish KSV*. 2016. Temperature thresholds for spikelet sterility and associated warming impacts for sub-tropical rice. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 221, 122-130
- Reynolds M et al., 2016. An integrated approach to maintaining cereal productivity under climate change. Global Food Security 8, 9-18
- Ishimaru T, Seefong X, Nallathambi J, Rajendran S, Yoshimoto M, Phoudalay L, Benjamin S, Hasegawa T, Hayashi K, Gurusamy A, Muthurajan R, Jagadish SVK. 2016. Quantifying rice spikelet sterility in potential heat-vulnerable regions: field surveys in southern Laos and southern India. Field Crops Research 190, 3-9
- Sathishraj R, Bheemanahalli R, Ramachandran M, Dingkuhn M, Muthurajan R, Jagadish SVK*. 2016. Capturing heat stress induced variability in spikelet sterility using panicle, leaf and air temperature under field conditions. Field Crops Research 190, 10-17
- Nalley L, Dixon B, Tack J, Barkley A, Jagadish KSV. 2015. Optimal harvest moisture content for maximizing Mid-South rice milling yields and returns. Agronomy Journal 108, 701-712
- Shi W, Lawas LMF, Raju BR, Jagadish SVK. 2015. Acquired thermo-tolerance and trans-generational heat stress response at flowering in rice. Journal of Agronomy and Crop Science 202, 309-319
- Jagadish SVK, Polavarapu KK, Bahuguna R, von Wirén N, Sreenivasulu N. 2015. Staying alive or going to die during terminal senescence– An enigma surrounding yield stability. Frontiers in Plant Science doi:10.3389/fpls.2015.01070
- González-Schain N, Dreni L, Lawas LM, Galbiati M, Colombo L, Heuer S, Jagadish KSV, Kater M. 2015. Genome-Wide transcriptome analysis during anthesis reveals new insights in the molecular basis of heat stress responses in tolerant and sensitive rice varieties. Plant and Cell Physiology 57, 57-68
- Shi W, Yin X, Struik PC, Xie F, Schmidt RC, Jagadish SVK*. 2015. Grain yield and quality responses of tropical hybrid rice to high night-time temperature. Field Crops Research 190, 18-25
- Dingkuhn M, Laza MRC, Kumar U, Mendez KS, Collard B, Jagadish SVK, Singh RK, Padolina T, Malabayabas M, Torres E, Rebolledo MC, Manneh B, Sow A. 2015. Improving yield potential of tropical rice: Achieved levels and perspectives through improved ideotypes. Field Crops Research 182, 43-59
- Kadam N, Yin X, Bindraban P, Struik PC, Jagadish KSV*. 2014. Does morphological and anatomical plasticity make wheat more tolerant of water-deficit stress than rice? Plant Physiology
- Ye C, Tenorio FA, Argayoso MA, Laza MA, Koh HJ, Redoña DE, Jagadish KSV, Gregorio GB. 2015. Identifying and confirming quantitative trait loci associated with heat tolerance at flowering stage in different rice populations. BMC Genomics DOI:10.1186/s12863-015-0199-7
- Ye C, Tenorio FA, Redoña ED, Morales–Cortezano PS, Cabrega GA, Jagadish KSV, Gregorio GB. 2015. Fine-mapping and validating qHTSF4.1 to increase spikelet fertility under heat stress at flowering in rice. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 128, 1507-1517
- Xia L, Lawas LMF, Malo R, Glaubitz U, Erban A, Mauleon R, Heuer S, Zuther E, Kopka J, Hincha DK*, Jagadish KSV*. 2015. Metabolic and transcriptomic signatures of rice floral organs reveal sugar starvation as a factor in reproductive failure under heat and drought stress. Plant Cell and Environment 38, 2171- 2192
- Peraudeau S, Lafarge T, Roques S, Quinones C, Clément-Vidal A, Ouwerkerk P, Van Rie J, Fabre D, Jagadish SVK, Dingkuhn M. 2015. Effects of carbohydrates and night temperature on night respiration in rice. Journal of Experimental Botany doi:10.1093/jxb/erv193
- Sabela D, Quinones C, Olejníčková J, Jagadish SVK*. 2015. Temporal chlorophyll fluorescence signals to track changes in optical properties of maturing rice panicles exposed to high night temperature. Field Crops Research 177, 75-85
- Bahuguna RN, Jagadish KSV*. 2015. Temperature regulation of plant phenological development. Environmental and Experimental Botany 111, 83-90
- Bahuguna RN, Jha J, Madan P, Shah D, Lawas ML, Khetarpal S, Jagadish SVK*. 2015. Physiological and biochemical characterization of NERICA-L 44: A novel source of heat tolerance at the vegetative and reproductive stages in rice. Physiologia Plantarum 154, 543-559
- Shi W, Ishimaru T, Gannaban RB, Oane W, Jagadish SVK*. 2015. Popular rice (Oryza sativa L.) cultivars show contrasting responses to heat stress at gametogenesis and anthesis. Crop Science 55, 589-596
- Coast O, Murdoch AJ *, Ellis RH, Hay FR, Jagadish KSV*. 2014. Resilience of rice (Oryza spp.) pollen germination and tube growth to temperature stress. Plant Cell and Environment 39, 26-37
- Tack J, Singh RK, Nalley LL, Viraktamath BC, Krishnamurthy SL, Lyman N, Jagadish KSV*. 2014. High vapor pressure deficit drives salt-stress induced rice yield losses in India. Global Change Biology 21, 1668-1678
- Coast O, Ellis RH, Murdoch AJ, Quiñones C, Jagadish KSV*. 2014. High night temperature induces contrasting responses for spikelet fertility, spikelet tissue temperature, flowering characteristics and grain quality in rice. Functional Plant Biology 42, 149-161
- Jagadish SVK*, Murty MVR, Quick WP. 2014. Rice responses to raising temperatures – challenges, perspectives and future directions. Plant Cell and Environment DOI: 10.1111/pce.12430
- Kadam NN, Xiao G, Melgar RJ, Bahuguna RN, Quinones C, Tamilselvan A, Prasad PVV, Jagadish SVK*. 2014. Agronomic and physiological responses to high temperature, drought and elevated CO2 interaction in cereals. Advances in Agronomy 127, 111-156
- Shimono H, Ozaki Y, Jagadish KSV, Sakai H, Usui Y, Hasegawa T, Kumagai E, Nakano H, Yoshinaga S. 2014. Planting geometry as a pre-screening technique for identifying CO2 responsive rice genotypes – a case study of panicle number. Physiologia Plantarum 152, 520-528
- Hirabayashi H, Sasaki K, Kambe T, Gannaban RB, Miras MA, Mendioro MS, Simon EV, Lumanglas PD, Fujita D, Takemoto-Kuno Y, Takeuchi Y, Kaji R, Kondo M, Kobayashi N, Ogawa T, Ando I, Jagadish KSV, Ishimaru T. 2014. qEMF3, a novel QTL for early-morning flowering trait from wild rice, Oryza officinalis, to mitigate heat stress damage at flowering in rice (Oryza sativa L.). Journal of Experimental Botany doi: 10.1093/jxb/eru474
- Peraudeau S, Roques S, Quiñones C, Fabre D, Van rie J, Ouwerkerk PBF, Jagadish KSV, Dingkuhn M, Lafarge T. 2015. Increase in night temperature in rice enhances respiration rate without significant impact on biomass accumulation. Field Crops Research 171, 67-78
- Jagadish KSV*, Craufurd P, Shi W, Oane R. 2013. A phenotypic marker for quantifying heat stress impact during microsporogenesis in rice (Oryza sativa). Functional Plant Biology 41, 48-55
- Lyman NB, Jagadish KSV*, Nalley LL, Dixon BL, Siebenmorgen T. 2013. Neglecting rice milling yield and quality underestimates economic losses from high-temperature stress. PLoS ONE8(8): e72157
- Qin J, Impa SM, Tang Q, Yang S, Yang J, Tao Y, Jagadish KSV*. 2013. Integrated nutrient, water and other agronomic options to enhance rice grain yield and N use efficiency in double-season rice crop. Field Crops Research 148, 15–23
- Shi W, Muthurajan R, Rahman H, Selvam J, Peng S, Zou Y, Jagadish KSV*. 2013. Source–sink dynamics and proteomic reprogramming under elevated night temperature and their impact on rice yield and grain quality. New Phytologist 197, 825–837
- Ziska LH, Bunce JA, Shimono H, Gealy DR, Baker JT, Newton PCD, Reynolds MP, Jagadish KSV, Zhu C, Howden M. 2012. Food Security and Climate Change: On the potential to adapt global crop production by active selection for rising atmospheric carbon dioxide concentration. Proceedings of the Royal Society (Biological sciences) 279, 4097–4105
- Craufurd PQ, Vadez V, Jagadish SVK, Prasad PVV, Zaman-Allah M. 2013. Crop science experiments designed to inform crop modeling. Agriculture Forest Meteorology 170, 8-18
- Jagadish SVK, Septiningsih EM, Kohli A, Thomson MJ, Ye C, Redoña E, Kumar A, Gregorio GB, Wassmann R, Ismail AM, Singh RK. 2012. Genetic advances in adapting rice to a rapidly changing climate. Journal of Agronomy and Crop Science 198, 360-373
- Madan P#, Jagadish SVK#, Craufurd PQ, Fitzgerald M, Lafarge T, Wheeler TR. 2012. Effect of elevated CO2 and high temperature on seed-set and grain quality of rice. Journal of Experimental Botany 63, 3843-3852
- Jagadish SVK*, Cairns JE, Kumar A, Somayanda IM, Craufurd PQ. 2011. Does susceptibility to heat stress confound screening for drought tolerance? Functional Plant Biology 38, 261–269
- Jagadish SVK, Muthurajan R, Rang ZW, Malo R, Heuer S, Bennett J, Craufurd PQ. 2011. Spikelet proteomic response to combined water deficit and heat stress in rice (Oryza sativa cv. N22) Rice 4, 1-11
- Cairns JE, Impa S, O’Toole JC, Jagadish SVK, Price AH. 2011. Influence of the soil physical environment on rice (Oryza sativa L.) response to drought stress and its implications for drought research. Field Crops Research 121, 303-310
- Rang ZW, Jagadish SVK*, Zhou QM, Craufurd PQ, Heuer S. 2011. Effect of heat and drought stress on pollen germination and spikelet fertility in rice. Environmental and Experimental Botany 70, 58-65
- Muthurajan R, Jagadish SVK*, Craufurd PQ, Bennett J. 2011. Proteomic response of rice floral tissue to high temperature stress. In: Ismail A (Ed). Genes, Genomes and Genomics 6 (Special Issue 1), 22-25
- Jagadish SVK, Muthurajan R, Oane R , Wheeler TR, Heuer S, Bennett J, Craufurd PQ. 2010. Physiological and proteomic approaches to dissect reproductive stage heat tolerance in rice (Oryza sativa L.). Journal of Experimental Botany 61, 143–156
- Jagadish SVK, Cairns J, Lafitte R, Wheeler TR, Price AH, Craufurd PQ. 2010. Genetic analysis of heat tolerance at anthesis in rice (Oryza sativa L.) Crop Science 50, 1-9
- Nagarajan S, Jagadish SVK*, Prasad HAS, Thomar AK, Anand A, Pal M, Agarwal PK. 2010. Local climate affects growth, yield and grain quality of aromatic and non-aromatic rice in northwestern India. Agriculture Ecosystems and Environment 138, 274-281
- Muthurajan R, Shobbar ZS, Jagadish, SVK*, Bruskiewich R, Ismail A, Leung H, Bennett J. 2010. Physiological and proteomic responses of rice peduncles to drought stress. Molecular Biotechnology 48, 173-182
- Wassmann R, Jagadish SVK, Heuer S, Ismail A, Redoña E, Serraj R, Singh RK, Howell G, Pathak H, Sumfleth K. 2009. Climate change affecting rice production: The physiological and agronomic basis for possible adaptation strategies. Advances in Agronomy 101,59-122
- Wassmann R, Jagadish SVK, Sumfleth K, Pathak H, Howell G, Ismail A, Serraj R, Redona E, Singh RK, Heuer S. 2009. Regional vulnerability of rice production in Asia to climate change impacts and scope for adaptation. Advances in Agronomy 102, 91-133
- Jagadish SVK, Craufurd PQ, Wheeler TR. 2008. Phenotyping rice mapping population parents for heat tolerance during anthesis. Crop Science 48, 1140–1146
- Jagadish SVK, Craufurd PQ, Wheeler TR. 2007. High temperature stress and spikelet fertility in rice. Journal of Experimental Botany 58, 1627-1635
Key Book Chapters
- Bahuguna RN, Jagadish SVK*, Coast O, Wassmann R. 2014. Plant Abiotic Stress: Temperature Extremes. In: Neal Van Alfen, editor-in-chief. Encyclopedia of Agriculture and Food Systems, Vol. 4, San Diego: Elsevier, pp. 330-334.
- Craufurd PQ, Jagadish SVK, Jon Padgham. 2011. Impacts of climate change on rainfed agriculture and adaptation strategies to improve livelihoods. In: Integrated Watershed Management in Rainfed Agriculture; Eds Wani SP, Rockstrom J and Sahrawat KL. CRC Press, pp. 421-437.
- Impa SM, Nadaradjan S, Jagadish SVK*. 2011. Drought stress induced reactive oxygen species and anti-oxidants in plants. In: Abiotic Stress Responses in Plants: Metabolism, Productivity and Sustainability. Eds. P. Ahmad and M.N.V. Prasad. pp 131-148.
Staff & Students
Current Post Docs
- Dr. Pivthra Pitumpe Arachchige
- Dr. Raju Bheemanahalli
- Dr. Jianming Fu
- Dr. Kamaranga Peiris
- Dr. David Sebela
- Dr. Impa Somayanda
- Dr. Amaranatha Vennapusa
- Naghmeh Moghimi, Ph.D.
- Anuj Chiluwal, Ph.D.
- Regina Enninful, Ph.D. (BHEARD scholar)
- Meghnath Pokharel, Ph.D.
- Reshma Anthony, M.S.
- Nathan Hein, M.S.
- Troy Ostmeyer, M.S.