Dr. John Holman
Cropping Systems Agronomist
Biography & Education
Dr. John Holman, Assistant Professor, is the Cropping Systems Agronomist at Garden City, SWREC. Holman earned a bachelor’s degree in Agronomy and a master’s degree in Weed Science from Montana State University, and a PhD in Plant Science from the University of Idaho. His expertise is in integrated cropping systems with emphasis in weed science and forages. From 2002 to 2006, he worked as a research and extension scientist for the University of Idaho. He joined Kansas State University in 2006.
- Ph.D. Plant Science, University of Idaho, 2005
- M.S. Land Resources Environmental Sciences, Montana State university, 2002
- B.S. Plant Science, Montana State university, 1999
Refereed Journal Publications
- Holman, J. D., C. Hunt, and D. Thill. 2011. Effect of harvest processes on the nutritive value of Kentucky bluegrass residue from seed harvest. Online. Forage and Grazinglands doi:10.1094/FG-2011-1228-01-RS.
- Holman, J. D., A. J. Schlegel, C. R. Thompson, and J. E. Lingenfelser. 2011. Influence of precipitation, temperature, and 56 years on winter wheat yields in western Kansas. Online. Crop Management doi:10.1094/CM-2011-1229-01-RS.
- M. Joy M. Abit, K. Al-Khatib, B. L. Olson, P. W. Stahlman, P. W. Geier C. R. Thompson, R. S. Currie, A. J. Schlegel, J. D. Holman, K. A. Hudson, D. E. Shoup, M. J. Moechnig, W. J. Grichar, B. W. Bean. 2011. Efficacy of postemergence herbicides tankmixes in Aryloxyphenoxypropionate-resistant grain sorghum. Crop Protection. 30(1): 1623-1628.
- Holman, J., A. Schlegel, B. Olson, S. Maxwell, and K. Martin. 2011. Volunteer glyphosate-tolerant corn reduces soil water storage and winter wheat yields. Online. Crop Management doi:10.1094/CM-2011-0629-01-RS.
- Holman, J., S. Maxwell, M. Stamm, and K. Martin. 2011. Effects of planting date and tillage on winter canola. Online. Crop Management doi:10.1094/CM-2011-0324-01-RS.
- Holman, J. D., J. L. Moyer, S. R. Maxwell, and K. L. Martin. 2011. Switchgrass cultivar establishment, iron chlorosis, and biomass yield in southwest and southeast Kansas. Online. Forage and Grazinglands doi:10.1094/FG-2011-0126-02-RS.
- Holman, J., C. Thompson, R. Hale, and A. Schlegel. 2010. Forage yield and nutritive value of hard red and hard white winter wheat. Agronomy Journal. 102(2):759-773.
- Holman, J., C. Thompson, R. Hale, and A. Schlegel. 2009. Grazing effects on yield and quality of hard red and hard white winter wheat. Agronomy Journal. 101(4): 775–788.
- Holman, J., C. Hunt, and D. Thill. 2007. Structural composition, growth stage, and cultivar affects on Kentucky bluegrass forage yield and nutrient composition. Agronomy Journal. 99(1):195-202.
- Holman, J., C. Hunt, J. Johnson-Maynard, L. Van Tassell, and D. Thill. 2007. Livestock use as a non-thermal residue management practice in Kentucky bluegrass seed production systems. Agronomy Journal. 99(1):203-210.
- Roozeboom, K., J. Holman, and J. Jennings. 2012. Cropping systems and cover crops. p. 18-23. In Presley, D., D. Shoup, J. Holman, and A. Schlegel (ed.). Efficient crop water use in Kansas. Kansas State University Extension Bulletin MF-3066.
- Shoup, D. and J. Holman. 2012. Controlling weeds to conserve water. p. 33-35. In Presley, D., D. Shoup, J. Holman, and A. Schlegel (ed.). Efficient crop water use in Kansas. Kansas State University Extension Bulletin MF-3066.
- Armstrong, J., B. Arnall, M. Boyles, J. Bushong, J. Damicone, E. DeVuyst, F. Epplin, K. Giles, C. Godsey, W. Heer, G. Hergert, J. Holman, D. Jardine, J. Jennings, C. Jones, B. Kard, D. Mengel, T. Peeper, D. Peterson, K. Roozeboom, T. Royer, H. Sanders, M. Stamm, C. Thompson, and H. Zhang. 2012. Great Plains canola production handbook. Kansas State University Extension Bulletin MF-2734.
- Roozeboom, K., D. Mengel, D. Blasi, and J. Holman. 2012. Prussic acid poisoning. Kansas State University Extension Bulletin MF-3040.
- Holman, J., T. Roberts, T. Dumler, W. Fick, R. Gillen, K. Harmoney, K. Martin, S. Maxwell, J. Moyer, P. Sloderbeck, S. Staggenborg, and C. Thompson. 2011. Switchgrass production handbook. Kansas State University Extension Bulletin MF3018.
- Holman, J., T. Dumler, S. Maxwell, B. Olson, T. Roberts, A. Schlegel, and C. Thompson. 2011. Volunteer corn in fallow. Keeping Up With Research, SRL 141, Kansas State University, May 2011.
- Kochenower, R., K. Larson, B. Bean, N. Kenny, K. Martin, and J. Holman. 2010. High plains sorghum production handbook. United Sorghum Check-off Program. Lubbock, TX.
- Boyles, M., J. Criswell, F. Epplin, K. Giles, C. Godsey, W. Heer, G. Hergert, J. Holman, D. Jardine, C. Jones, V. Martin, D. Mengel, T. Peeper, D. Peterson, K. Roozeboom, T. Royer, H. Sanders, P. Sloderbeck, M. Stamm, and C. Thompson. 2009. Great Plains Canola Production Handbook. Kansas State University Extension Bulletin MF-2734.
- Roozeboom, K., D. Shoup, B. Olson, J. Holman, D. Peterson, C. Thompson, S. Duncan. 2008. No-till Handbook Series: Rotations and cultural practices. Kansas State University Extension Bulletin MF-2908.
John Holman’s research focuses on improving the economic and environmental sustainability of agriculture production systems, with emphasis in utilizing cultural and technological tools to address underlying cropping systems concerns. Several projects that have been initiated are to:
- Evaluate alternative cropping systems that incorporate nitrogen fixating crops into the rotation by increasing cropping intensity, yet maintain or increase economic return, water-use efficiency, and soil and water quality.
- Evaluate winter canola production systems for southwest Kansas.
- Investigate sustainable methods of strip-tillage and no-tillage irrigated corn production.
View more research information for the Western Kansas Agricultural Research Centers.