1. K-State home
  2. »Agronomy
  3. »Extension
  4. »Range & Forages
  5. »Welcome to the Grassland Water Quality Website
  6. »Water Practice Permits

Department of Agronomy

Water Practice Permits

Permit Process: Steps to follow for water contruction project (example: installing a rock channel crossing or a hardened access point)

Determine Location

Locate the construction site and request design assistance from your local NRCS office. NRCS engineers will come out and stake the practice. Be sure to allow sufficient time for them to work this into their schedule. You can also use private engineering firms if they promise to design the practice to meet NRCS standards (if you are using cost-share). After staking, the engineers will provide a design and calculate the total drainage above the site. There is no cost for these services when provided by NRCS.

grassland water quality>NRCSmap200px

Wetland Determination

Obtain a wetland determination from NRCS. This is often done in conjunction with the staking process. Anytime projects are done which affect potential wetlands, a wetland determination is needed. All dotted or solid blue lines on the USGS topographical maps are under the jurisdiction of the COE so they always require wetland determinations to determine whether some type of mitigation is needed to off set any damages to the natural wetland caused by the project. There is no cost for obtaining this determination.

Army Corps of Engineers Permit

Obtain an Army Corps of Engineers permit. (There is no cost for this permit). Send in the location (range township section), engineering design, and drainage acreage to:

Luke Corley

KDA Div. of Water Resources Permit

Obtain a Kansas Department of Agriculture Division of Water Resources permit. Allow at least 6 weeks turn around time. Drainages of less than 240 acres are generally exempt, but check to be sure. Send the location, design and drainage acreage to the following to determine if you need this permit.

Chris Warren

Cost of the permit varies between $100-$500, and doubles if construction has already started. Dams require additional permits. Download Permit Request Form

grassland water quality>KSmap-KDA permit<

KDHE Construction Permit

If the project will disturb than one acre or more, you will need to obtain a Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) construction stormwater permit. You can find instructions and forms at: www.kdheks.gov/stormwater. A plan to prevent pollution from construction (controlling erosion, fuel spills, etc.) is required to be posted on-site during the construction process. For more information, contact:

Larry Hook

KDHE Water Quality Protection Plan

If the project will disturb less than one acre, KDHE recommends a water quality protection plan be developed and implemented. Form and instructions can be accessed at:http://www.kdheks.gov/nps/resources/nwpwqppfrm.pdf . This plan should be posted on site. For more information contact:

Scott Satterthwaite

Local Permits

Obtain local permits. Call your local sanitarian and check for additional local permit requirements (water protection areas, etc.). Provide information as necessary. Sometimes costs are associated with these permits.

Kansas One Call

Make sure that you won’t be severing cables or pipelines during the construction process. Call Kansas One Call (811) and ask them to locate any underground utilities on or near the construction site. If utilities are located where they may be damaged during construction, you will need to reposition and re-stake the site. There is no cost for the One Call service. http://www.kansasonecall.com

Now you’re ready to bring on the equipment!

Confused? Use this helpful reference to locate contact information for resources to assist you. http://www.kdheks.gov/nps/resources/PermitFactSheet.pdf